Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Prodigal Daughter returns

This seems to be the theme of my life lately. Unintentionally a few weeks after I moved back home, me being the prodigal daughter of course, I've been reading books that deal with similar topics. 

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong is about the only female werewolf in existence, at least in this particular mythology, named Elena. In this story Elena has been spending the last year of her life away from her pack because of issues best discovered when you read the book yourself. Point is her "journey" is about coming home, prodigal daughter no.2.

The book I'm reading now, Stray by Rachel Vincent, is about another type of shape-shifters, namely werecats. The protagonist is again a young woman who has spent the recent years of her life going to college and then to postgraduate studies in pursuit of a life independent from her pride (which I've just learned is the equivalent of a wolf's pack for cats). She is forced to return home because of a certain incident. A reluctant, prodigal daughter no.3.

I'll have to think back on other books I've read first but I'm thinking that this is a theme that comes up quite often in one way or another, especially since a lot of the heroines that I read have some kind of daddy issue in their baggage.

No comments: